RSS

February 26, 2011

In the Split Second

Sometime in the split second when February 28th turns into March 1, Scott and I mark our wedding anniversary and we turn another year older in our marriage. Unless, of course, it's Leap Year and we actually have an entire day, a complete 24 hours, a morning, midday, and evening, in which to officially wish each other a Happy Anniversary. Yes, it's true, Scott and I were married on February 29th. How did this happen you ask? Why, of all days, when it only shows up every 4th year? Because I didn't realize! It simply was the best day. As I remember, it was the only day and I was grateful that we were able to find a day that worked around assignments and midterms that come up in the middle of a semester of college, schedules of both our families, dodging BYU games, not overlapping football spring training, and the like. Can you imagine my surprise and my stunned face when a guest at our wedding reception shook Scott's hand and congratulated him on marrying on such a fine day that would only require him remembering our anniversary every 4 years. I wanted to rewind and pick a different day because I wanted an anniversary every single year. Later, when I had a chance to express my very serious concern to Scott that we had indeed been foolish to pick February 29th for our wedding day, he reassuringly smiled at his new bride and said, "we'll just celebrate the last day of February every year, and make it extra special when it's the 29th". My heart melted and I was so happy that I had married the right man who would not forget our anniversary.
This month we are marking 31 fabulous years. Next year we will celebrate 8 anniversaries. It's all been fabulous, each and every year. Have we ever forgotten our anniversary? Well, yes. We had just moved to New Jersey on a Saturday. We were sitting in church on Sunday and the speaker mentioned it was February 28th. Scott and I both looked at each other with surprised smiles and said "oh, we forgot! Happy Anniversary"!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Happy Anniversary! We got married in a leap year- but August instead of February. I remember watching a news report that year about couples getting married on Feb. 29 and thought it would be kind of fun. Hope you both have a great split second this year!

Julie said...

How did I not know this, or did I know this, but forgot (which would be typical)? This was so fun to learn about you two. Happy Anniversary to the most perfect couple!

Sally said...

How funny! Gene and I both got a chuckle over this! Gene even said Scott planned it this way so that he wouldn't have to take you to dinner every year! Whatever! Happy Anniversary!

Post a Comment