RSS

May 2, 2011

Shhhhh . . . . . it's a secret

I had the most charming conversation recently with our oldest granddaughter who will be having her 4th birthday soon. I asked her what she would like for a birthday present. She told me she is asking Mom and Dad for a scooter like her friend, Will, has so they can scooter like this (as she shows me with an invisible scooter) all around the neighborhood.

"Ahh, that sounds like a great birthday present. What else would you like? What's something Grandpa and Grandma can give you?"

"I want a BIG playhouse for my dolls. A big, BIG one (with her arms making a very BIG motion for emphasis)", she said.

"One you can stand up tall in and have different rooms for your baby dolls?" I asked.

"Yes, a r-e-a-l-l-y big one", she confirmed.

"Hmm, that might be too big for Grandma to send in the mail. What's something you would like that I could send in the mail", I asked.

"Well, everything else is a secret", she whispered.

"Oh! Well, I'm very good at keeping secrets", I said while trying to look as convincing and trustworthy as possible. "Just tell me one secret so I'll know what you'd like for your birthday".

Hesitating, then, with a look of uncertainty at my ability to keep a secret, she told me her secret birthday gift wish. And then . . . she told me another.

"Wow, those are wonderful birthday gift secrets", I said. "I'll write that down so I won't forget."

She watched to make sure I did write them down. She was satisfied.

What were her secret wishes, you ask?

Oh no--I'll never tell.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Cute! Have fun shopping and mailing. Hopefully she (or a parent!) will send a picture of her opening it and the secret can be let out!

Sally said...

Too sweet! Yes, you'll have to share the opening of the gift so that the secret will be out! :)

Julie said...

I want to be just like you when I'm a grandma!

Linda said...

Julie, what a kind thing to say. Thank you.
Yes, I'll share the secrets when they're opened. =)

Post a Comment