RSS

August 28, 2010

Speaking of Mail



A few months ago I was spending some R & R time in Barnes and Noble Book Store and found a book just calling out to me. The title -"Good Mail Day". Well, anything addressing the topic of good mail or happy mail catches my attention.

I thought I'd track down this book at the library, but it is not at the library. So after months of telling myself I don't need this book, I broke down and bought it online. You know what that means . . . the book was mailed to me. Yea! One day I went to my mailbox and there was this brown paper package (not) tied up with string and it was addressed to me.

This book is about making mail art and sending it. The idea is to make something unique and get it in the mail. There are chapters about making a mail art kit, getting inspiration for your art, refining penmanship & etiquette, etc. This is really a fun book.

"When you write to your friends, make your letters so beautiful in form and text that they will be read, re-read, and cherished a long time after as a fond memory. ~Book of Etiquette, 1922"

Rule #1 - to get a letter, write a letter.

I need to improve on rule #1. I have been rather distracted lately and always feeling too busy to follow through on thoughts of letters to write. So, of course, I am recommitted. My great aunt was a stellar letter writer. Whenever she met someone she asked for their address and said she would write. And write she did. And they wrote back. When she passed away she was corresponding with near 100 people on a regular basis. Wow! Now that's a lot of happy mail.

5 comments:

Julie said...

I am learning so much about you through your blog. I think I need to mail you a letter--a REAL letter. :)

Jenny said...

I love mail and this book looks so neat! I am excited to hear how it goes.

nate phillips said...

ah- so I should be expecting some fun mail my way?? :)

Linda said...

Julie, I would love a letter, but I think sending you one is part of my recommitment.
Jenny, I'll keep you posted.
Nate, yes, of course!!

lesa said...

Stopping by from Julie's blog.

I love letter writing. I'm sad that we are slowly losing that art in today's techno world. I still love to write random thank you notes on occasion. Thanks for reminding me that it is a good thing to do!

You have a nice blog!

Post a Comment