RSS

August 15, 2010

Happy Mail


I love to get, what I term, "happy mail"
Happy Mail: any piece of mail that is written specifically to me i.e. letters, cards, and the like.

I enjoy emails; they are quick and efficient. I love phone calls especially because I can hear the caller's voice, the inflections, the tone, the mood and I can exchange ideas and thoughts immediately. But I love mail!

I think I love mail because I can make it last. When our oldest 2 sons were serving on their missions they wrote letters. On the day their letter was due I would watch for the mail delivery. I'd walk out to the mailbox, open the door with excitement, sift through the pieces of mail with anticipation and smile when I saw that handwritten envelope from our son. Then I would walk, with a bounce in my step, back to the house, straight to the quiet, sun-filled living room, nestle into a wingback chair and open the envelope. I would stroll through each paragraph, savoring, stopping to sometimes reread or laugh, ponder and always enjoy.

Not long ago I had to forward some mail to our oldest son. I included a handmade card with Disney Princesses on it to our granddaughters. Shortly after the package of mail arrived to our son I was on the webcam with him and our 3 year old granddaughter came into the room.
"Hi Grandma" she said, "when are you going to send me some more mail?"
"Oh", I replied, "you like mail? I'll send you some mail next week."
And so I did.

Loving Happy Mail: something my granddaughter and I have in common.


2 comments:

Shauni said...

Hi Linda! I love your blog! So fun to see your beautiful family and to hear what you've been up to. I love your thoughts about being deliberate about the way we live our lives. I love that word "deliberate"--I think I'll try harder to be a more deliberate mom. Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog. We love you guys and have always thought the world of you. Tell Cassidy I said hello!

Linda said...

Thanks for taking a look Shauni. I'll tell Cassy and we'll stay in touch.

Post a Comment